Marifield House, land, lot, and neighbours past - in brief. For the complete version click on the link below.
Our home is located in the Victoria neighbourhood of James Bay, and is within easy walking distance of Beacon Hill Park, the Royal BC Museum, and the Inner Harbour, The Fairmont Empress Hotel. We are 4 doors (north) from Carr House.
Of the people who have lived at this lot there is some information on the Fawcetts and the Chaves.
Bishop Hills bought our lot and others from Colonel Moody in 1863, who had purchased and subdivided HBCompnay land in that same year.
The Fawcetts built the first home here in 1880 when Government St. was called Carr St. The Fawcetts lived at 24 Carr St. There is no photo of this home but a floor plan of the house was drawn by Constance Eleanor , one of Rowlands 9 children. The drawing is in her school notebook book which can be found in the archives. There were 5 bedrooms upstairs…
When Rowland's mother died in 1864 he was sent to England with his two youngest brothers. It was there that he met his wife, Emma Louisa Clayton.
Some of the letters Rowland received in England have survived and tell of life and love in Victoria in 1864-5. Rowland's younger brother,
Edgar, was the most well-known of the Fawcetts. He wrote Some Reminiscences of Old Victoria . The ebook can be found online.
Rowland was a painter and wall paper hanger. He said has liked his work and that he was good at it. His children grew up with the Carr Children. The family is described in interesting terms by Emily Carr in her Book of Small.
The Chaves bought 235 Government St. in 1925.
Mrs. Chave was a talented musician and vocalist. Their son Cyril tells the story of having tea with Emily Carr in the mid-1920s. The story he later wrote and published.
My wife Toshie bought the house in 2001 with the intention of operating it as a B+B and because she wanted to live in such a beautiful place.